St Mary & St Peter
From 1811 chapels had been set up to serve the English speaking Catholic community in Jersey.
In 1842, in Vauxhall, the foundation stone of the first “English” church was laid, and in turn, this building was replaced on the same site by a new church in 1867. In the early 1980s, rather than carry out significant major restoration to the Vauxhall building, the decision was taken to build a new church over the car park of Beaulieu School in Wellington Road and this was consecrated on 28 September 1985.
St Mary & St Peter has always been served by diocesan priests and, when the new building was opened in Wellington Road, St Helier, the then Dean of the Catholic Church in Jersey, Canon David Mahy, remarked "We would like people to feel that although it's a new building, it's not a new church".
It is a striking contemporary building which retains vestiges of the past. There are, for instance, splendid examples of stained glass windows by Harry Clarke, known as “the Irish Windows”, which were carefully removed from the Vauxhall site and incorporated into the design of the new building.
The marble font and tabernacle from the old church now reside in splendour in St Thomas' Church. In the new St Mary & St Peter they have been replaced with moveable wooden sanctuary furniture. The building has been equipped with the latest audio/visual technology so that it can be transformed into a function room for use by the Catholic schools, which are situated in the immediate vicinity, and other groups.
The large figure of Christ on the outside of the building was recovered from Our Lady of the Universe church at Millbrook before its closure in September 2003.
|Sunday||9.00 am (Mass in Polish)
|Thursday||7.30 am (Morning Prayer 7.15am)|
The church can be found in Wellington Road, St Helier, JE2 4RJ.
Office Manager: Mrs Julia Le Cornu.
Telephone: 01534 720235